Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Our Master Bedroom Closet * Circa 1940's

This is the view from the bathroom.

 As I told you before I love the era of the 1940's! Even though this is a Victorian house, I have many things from the 40's. As with the sewing room and the laundry room, the master bedroom (shown in another post) and the bedroom next door are connected. They weren't originally when the house was built. As with most houses of the day, the closets are not very deep and the one that used to be the master bedroom was no exception. A previous owner removed the closet and opened the master bedroom to the bathroom next door. Another owner later opened the bedroom next door to the bathroom so now the master bedroom has a larger bathroom and it connects to that bedroom next to it.

So, when we moved here we decided to make that bedroom next door into the master bedroom closet since it all connects. (A suggestion by my daughter.) I wanted it to have the feel of a 1940's store. I don't have the before pictures to show you now as they are on that crashed hard drive. :( As soon as I can retrieve them, I will post them here.

This is the view from the main hallway.

We bought chrome store fixtures on Ebay, Craigslist and a local store that sells used store fixtures. The floor is commercial flooring. The original wood floor in here was pretty bad and I wanted that 'store feel'. This flooring's not bad to lay, again like tiling and putting a puzzle together. I found out that you can heat it slightly with a hair dryer so you can cut it easily with a razor knife. John put down the underlayment and I layed the tile. Easy to clean and I love the colors! Tons of pictures on that hard drive to show later!




I love the room in here, no cramped clothing in the back of the closet and functional too!


 I like things to be organized and it's so easy in this closet! Room to get dressed and a mirror on the door!


These racks came from Bed Bath & Beyond. I love vintage hats and have many throughout the room. The Boutique sign was left here by the previous owner. I keep my shoes on the rack on the right, t-shirts and shorts on the left.


Got to keep track of those pounds, er, well at least once in awhile. ;) Those old scales are pretty darn accurate too! Another thing made back then that was built to last!


This shoe fitter was missing a part and the man at the retail store display place gave it to me. Works for me!


 I have vintage Lorraine advertising as it is a family name, several family members have this name.


 This waterfall china cabinet was bought at an auction in Lonaconing, Md for $35.00. It houses our sweaters on the top and my husband's shorts on the bottom. I love seeing the colors behind the door.


 I collect vintage Djer Kiss advertising. They had the most fabulous ads! Quite well known artists like Maxfield Parrish did art work for Djer Kiss in the day. Most of it is circa 1920's. I also have pictures of my mother in the 40's on display.


 Got to have a chair in here so you have a place to put on your socks! Inside the closet which is not very deep we built shelves on the left and the right side is much deeper, we have a rack for winter coats, etc. I want to put a rack or something over the hamper for belts, scarves and ties. Just haven't found what I want yet. You can see some of my dresses and skirts have hanger covers on them that I made out of vintage pillowcases so they protect the clothes from dust. A cute way to recycle those vintage pillowcases!





I found this neat vintage rack at yes, another auction for $10.00. I knew I wanted to put my hanging purses on it, my flat purses are in containers.



 
 This gal came from an Ebay purchase. I love fairies and vintage jewelry. I made the sign for a vintage store display stand. You can find really neat display pieces at stores that sell used store fixtures!




I purchased this deco chandelier at an auction for $4.00! The ceiling medallion is yet another vintage clock that I turned into a ceiling medallion. It was bought at the same auction house for $5.00 and I painted it white. I had wanted to do a horizontal stripe for a long time and so I did it in here. Alternating soft blue and green stripes. I'm going to put window valances in here, I just don't know what I want in here yet. The trim in this room was already painted a beige color so I painted all the trim white as I hate can't stand rather not have beige trim. It gives it a clean crisp feeling. Yes, the chandelier has no ceiling cap, we forgot to put it up so that's another project, I'll be getting to that someday tomorrow real soon. ;)

This is the door that goes into the bathroom.
If you have a spare room in your house, you might give some thought to turning it into a closet, you'll feel very luxurious and you don't have to spend a lot to do it! Just keep a watchful eye out for those bargains and use your imagination!!

2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! I love how you set it up like a store!

    Lindsey Turner
    http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love what you've done with this beautiful old home. I'm from Westernport (now Alaska) and I have been so saddened by the loss of so many of the incredibly beautiful old homes in the Tri-Towns area. Thank you for saving this wonderful piece of history.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you! Have a blessed day!!