Monday, September 26, 2011

The Turret Room on the third floor


The third floor of our stately Queen Anne Victorian originally was the servant's quarters. There are four bedrooms there which are our guest rooms and a large room that you enter when you come into when you walk up the stairs. Funny there's a toilet and sink that are very old on one side of that room, open to all! Guess they didn't need any privacy! There's no bath or shower either. We hope to enclose and enlarge the bathroom for guests and to be a full bath.

In the front of the house on the third floor is the turret room. Aptly named as it is the turret on the front of the house. When you enter the room you have to duck and the ceiling line of the turret is there. It's kinda neat and feels like a secret room almost! Here's shot of what you see when you enter the room.


The hanging piece on the wall was purchased for about $35.00 many years ago and I painted it white (it was an unappealing color) and put hooks on it. It was once the back of a cabinet or set of drawers. It's great for guests to hang whatever they need to!


There are 5 identical windows in this room.This room is very high up (practically nose bleed height! ;) I wanted to make window treatments to accent the shape of the turret ceiling when you enter the room so that's why they are V shaped. I made a ruffle to trim out the V and used a white battenburg curtain that I cut in 2 (found at Walmart for about $8.00) so one curtain made 2 valances. The bottom half of the windows is a gathered sheer. I bought 2 very long sheers and cut them to make all the curtains at the bottom for a cost of less than $15.00 at a local discount store.






The ceilings are the lowest in the house at under 8 feet but it makes the rooms quite cozy! The turn of the century bed in here is tall and yes, I painted it white! Here's some more pics of the room.



I made all of the pillows here with old chenille from vintage bedspreads, even the fringe and vintage crocheted lace from rescued vintage linens. I made lots of yo-yos and attached them to the fronts and the backs. The spread is a Laura Ashley comforter I've had for several years. I had extra cases etc. so I could use them for fabric.






I painted the floor in a giant checkerboard taping it off with painter's tape. The walls are a bit more yellow green than the blue green floor for accent. Where the taping meets I painted a tiny pink square. I left the baseboard the original dark oak but I decided to paint the window trims white because they were nasty and needed something done to them. The white blends into the background unlike the dark that would pull your eye to the trim and not to the curtains. I like the combination. I LOVE white trim but after having one Victorian before with ALL white trim, I found it got dirty looking in a short time so we are leaving the original dark oak trim as is, just sprucing up the wood with conditioners as it is old and dry.


I reupholstered this stool with the pink fabric and made yo-yos to cover the three nails holding the end pieces on and added vintage buttons to the centers. They were hot glued on.




I bought this dresser for $100.00, yes, at an auction and at another auction the mirror for $35.00. The mirror is wider than the dresser so I decided to hang it on the wall just a bit higher. The floor lamp was a $17.00 steal, love the jadeite accent! I covered the shade with a pink & white toile. I hate that the cord shows under the dresser! Got that from my Mom, I remember her getting out her twisty ties to keep her cords up out the way so you didn't seem them. Darn, I sure do miss her!


     
This lovely girl is my one and only child on her wedding day. Love of my life, mother of my three grandsons.




In this photo of the house circa 1900, I've highlighted where the turret room is from the outside.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'd love to hear from you! Have a blessed day!!